Monday, June 26, 2006

Axim...again


Axim…again

Well, I finally got my new Dell Axim to operate the way I think it should. Well, so far so good this week.

Basically, I had to rebuild the entire software set. Dell believes that several legacy software systems actually significantly and dramatically affect the performance of Windows Mobile devices. So, I reinstalled everything and slowly started to put on third party applications. What I miss most is Norton Antivirus for Handhelds.

Next, I installed the Broadcom Bluetooth stack on the device. The native Bluetooth stack is horrible. In fact it will only receive signals and won’t send or allow you to send phone numbers or the like to a cell phone. The old Bluetooth stack is a little slower than the new one. But, on the upside, the new stack does ACTUALLY work!

Most people on the Aximsite seem very upset with Dell and Microsoft for choosing to license software that clearly took two steps backward. I completely agree.

Now, for the bad news. I’ve started to notice that boot time is starting to increase. It may be a matter of time before I’m forced to rebuild the system, yet again!

No comments: