Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hypocrisy

Hypocrisy has always been something that would upset me more quickly than just about anything else. However, as I age, I become more aware that hypocrisy is everywhere. No one political system or political party has cornered the market on hypocrisy. In reality, hypocrisy is more about the lies we tell so we can get through our own self made inconsistencies.

What’s set me off about hypocrisy recently is the recent passing of a law by the Missouri House of Representatives that revokes Missouri’s motorcycle helmet law. Several people contend that this is merely about personal freedom. Anyone should be able to choose whether to wear a motorcycle helmet. And if that person chooses not to wear a helmet and that person is injured while riding a motorcycle, then that person is responsible for making that decision and living with the consequences. Some beg to differ. See this tear sheet on the true fiscal impact on a motorcycle rider's "personal" choice.

I think that is an interesting argument. Frankly, it is one that I agree with. However, this same body, the Missouri House of Representatives in recent years has passed or is currently considering legislation that dictates individual behavior modification to increase safety. The argument is that when someone is injured, it drives up the costs of health care, increases lawsuits because injuries are greater and ultimately could cost taxpayers. This last part comes because a personal choice may result in increased injury, resulting in police, fire and ambulance visits to what would otherwise be a routine accident. Or, compounded injuries eventually work their way through private insurance, and a person’s choice results in that individual’s medical treatments being covered by Medicaid.

Based on the argument above, in 1988 the Missouri General Assembly has passed a mandatory seat belt law and are now considering a bill to require all people to wear seat belts at all times. Failure to wear a seat belt would be breaking the law…even if you are obeying all other traffic rules and regulations.

So let me see if I have this right? Driving 25 miles per hour down a residential street in a crash tested automobile with six airbags, steel reinforcements on all sides of the passenger cabin is just too dangerous without also wearing a seat belt. In fact, doing so is so dangerous that you have no choice BUT to wear a seat belt. But, driving 75 miles an hour on I-70 with nothing between you and pavement is just fine and completely safe and just a matter of personal choice?

Hypocrisy…thy name is the Missouri House of Representatives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
I have been riding my motorcycle for about 3 yrs now, I would not even consider riding without a helmet. For a person to ride a motorcycle it takes a great amount of responsibility and not wearing a helmet is not being responsible at all in my opinion. Yes, I agree with the topic of your post, the hypocrisy of the MO House is out there.

Steve Potter said...

Hey Kevin! Thanks for the post. I'm always surprised when someone posts to me. In fact, I usually don't think that anyone reads these, so I forget to check to see if anyone has posted.

I agree with you. The only times I've ever been on a cycle, I've worn a helment. It is the only wise and smart thing to do, IMHO. In fact, I've even started wearing a bicycle helmet!

I guess what bothers me more than the actual legislation is the hypocrisy. It is way too unsafe to ride in your car without a seatbelt, but fine and dandy to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Not much logic there.