Thursday, March 16, 2006

An offer you cant refuse


An offer you can’t refuse.

Several years ago, I subscribed to Audible.Com. I discovered several years ago that I didn’t like to read fiction. However, listening to novels while I exercise or while I’m driving is another story altogether.

Recently, I downloaded The Godfather Returns. The unabridged version has over twenty-one hours of listening. The story chronicles the “missing” periods from the Godfather novel and movies. I’m still not through the book, but I absolutely love it. It details what happens after the death of the heads of the five families at the end of Godfather I through the start of Godfather II and the death of Carmella Corleone.

One thing I found really interesting was the back story on Fredo Corleone. It really goes into much greater detail on why Fredo betrayed Michael and why Fredo was so tortured. The revelation that Fredo was gay was a bit of a surprise, though.

There’s more back story on Tom Hagan and his brief tenure in the U.S. House. There’s back story on how Pete Clemenza died. Johnny Fonataine (AKA “Frank Sinatra”) is better explored and we are introduced to the Shea family. Shea was an Irish ambassador who worked with Corleone as a bootlegger and was set on making his war hero son president. Sound like Massachusetts family? There was follow-up on Sonny Corleone’s twin daughters. Some of the most interesting back story though is the story of young Michael and the family before 1946. I just started listening to that part and really can’t say much.

The book itself is not really written very imaginatively. In fact, it is almost written in a boring way. But the story is great!

No comments: