Sunday, April 16, 2006

Another Day on the Farm

Another Day on the Farm

Leigh Anne and I went to the farm to visit with her parents yesterday. Our treks to the farm are always enjoyable, but becoming even more so! We always start by stopping by “At Sarah’s Table” in Kearney. Sarah and her husband are good friends and it is always fun to see them and chat a little. Besides, as Leigh Anne has testified to everyone, Sarah makes “most excellent pancakes.”

We went to the farm, on up to Bethany to shop and eat, and then back to the farm. There was a huge power outage in Bethany. Of course, that really didn’t stop anyone from shopping at Wal-Mart…they just couldn’t cash out!

Lee and I went to the farm pond to try our luck. A while back, I caught my first bass in that pond as I reacquainted myself with fishing. After a pretty short amount of time, I landed a decent sized bass. Lee moved around the corner and caught a nice sized bass, too. After a while, we had caught several bass, bluegill and crappie. Most were small, so we released them and vowed to get them another day.

We decided to stop for the day. Then, the wind picked up, and Lee started getting some impressive strikes. He pulled in two really nice bass. At his urging, I cast back in again a couple of times. I got a very strong strike! It pulled and fought. It was easily one of the biggest fish I had ever caught! I pulled and reeled. I could hear Lee becoming more excited as the fish came closer in. In fact, at the time, he seemed more excited than I was! Once we got it in, we saw that the fish was not one of the large bass. It was a sixteen inch long crappie and weighed two pounds. Lee said he had never caught a crappie that big, and proclaimed that I would never catch another crappie that big if I fished for another forty years. We had a very impressive string of fish. Fortunately, Leigh Anne had just come over to the pond and we had our photographer.

We returned to the farmhouse and then went along the treeline to look for mushrooms. All along the way, he and I talked about the adventure along the pond. Lee kept saying that we had a day we could talk about forever. How can I disagree?

No comments: