Monday, April 17, 2006

And yet...


And yet…

I’ve recently discovered an author I really like. I’m not much of a fan of fiction. However, I really like Max Barry. The author of Jennifer Government and Company, Barry is fresh and original. Several reviewers point out that his stories often run out of originality and “steam” before the end of the novel. I’m willing to cut him some slack. Frankly, his stories are so original you don’t mind coasting to the end. Although, he could use some work on how he transcribes dialog.

The first book I read from Barry was Jennifer Government. This story takes place in the near future where companies have become so important that people give up their surnames and take on the names of their employers. There are several storylines; Hack Nike, Billy NRA, and of course, Jennifer Government (who works for an agency like the FBI).

Company is wonderful. As you start reading, you are sure it is the ultimate satire in the tune of Dilbert, Office Space, or The Office. One man is obsessed with who is parking in his space. Another man has a favorite coat hook. Then there’s a guy who knows some stole his doughnut. You follow around a new guy, Jones, who finds that there is much more about Zephyr holdings than meets the eye. They are the Alpha and the Omega. It is a great cautionary tale for people in senior management (like me).

Barry is a near futurist, telling stories about a world that is not unlike this one. Much like Orwell, Barry’s world is a troubling one. Although, I think I laughed much more at Barry’s world than George Orwell’s.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just finished Jennifer Government yesterday, and thought it was brilliant. Very scary, though, in that the future could very well end up like that. But very funny too.

Can't wait to read Company.