Saturday, April 29, 2006

Hows the weather?


How’s the weather?

I learned a long time ago that you should avoid talking about religion or politics if you want to keep conversations civil. It has always been pretty safe to talk to people about the weather. That is, until a few years ago when people really started talking about global warming. Suddenly, a discussion of the weather could degrade to fisticuffs.

Here’s my take on global warming. I agree that there are great trends in the weather cycle. In Kansas City, winters were bad in the 1950s (according to my dad) mild in the 1960s (again…my dad) and bad in the 1970s and early 1980s (I remember deep snow all winter and ice storms about every other year). People who agree with global warming point out this year there was virtually no snow in Kansas City this year. However, we may be in the middle of a cycle. However, are there very unique trends. My sister lives outside Fairbanks, Alaska. My brother-in-law pushes snow (like lots of people). However, my sister said that he only had to push snow three or four times all winter. Sometimes he has to push snow three or four times a week! I guess my issue is that I can accept that there are cycles in the weather. However, I would be shocked and amazed if Fairbanks ever had a winter like this last one.

I think that climates may be shifting. I think there are changes in the weather. There are problems and issues with our stewardship of the planet. I guess the safest conversation in the future is to discuss how poorly the Royals play.

No comments: