Friday, March 02, 2007

A Truman Liberal


I’ve always viewed myself as a “Truman Liberal.” I really don’t know that there is such a thing, but I believe that Harry Truman was fiscally conservative but socially progressive or liberal. The Truman Committee identified war profiteers was not only patriotic, but a fiscally conservative – assuring that taxes were properly spent. Likewise, Truman was very socially progressive, with programs like integration of the armed forces.

Sometimes I wonder about the political spectrum today. It seems to me that if Truman were here today, he would not be very popular. First, it seems that the best qualification to be a "hawk" these days is having NOT served in the military. Strike one against Truman. Questioning the government in today’s climate has become tantamount to treason. Merely asking whether defense expenditures were appropriate, whether the funding levels are right, is considered unpatriotic. Strike two. I was really surprised recently when I heard conservative commentators suggesting during the debate on a non-binding resolution concerning Iraq that the “Commander in Chief” should have the right to run any war, any way he wants, and Congress should step aside.

Actually, these entertainers who masquerade as journalists need to read the Constitution that they so reverently defend. The constitution says, while the President is the commander in chief of the armed forces, congress has the authority to declare war and to fund government programs, including that little skirmish in Iraq.

Considering his common sense approach to things, I feel confident that Senator Truman would ask the President for a measurable, objective military strategy for Iraq and without one, he likely wouldn’t want to increase funding for the war.

Of course, that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

2 comments:

Tripp Kelly said...

Excellent post. I could not agree more. Well said. - Darin

Steve Potter said...

Thanks. I am always amazed when people find my musings online.

Steve