Sunday, September 25, 2005

Autumn with the Pigskin



Autumn with the Pigskin

Many people who know me, know that football is a legacy issue in my family. No, we are not the family that has been the starting tailback on our high school team for generations. My father gave me a great appreciation for football. He was from Barberton, Ohio. Barberton is a very short distance from Canton, the birthplace of professional football. My dad used to talk about Ohio State / Michigan and the great Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Paul Brown, and Vince Lombardi. As I got older, my dad told me about the glory years of the Kansas City Chiefs. I listened, and paid attention and learned to love my father’s game.

We spent many Sundays watching pro football. Now that my dad’s gone, it is a little bittersweet every time I watch football. However, it is our game. With the Chiefs starting out with two wins, I’m thrilled. Sure, NY blew some scoring opportunities. I still have no idea why Oakland didn’t run a corner route to Moss on Monday night during that last drive. However, this new Chiefs defense has shown the ability to stop an opposing offense periodically…something they could not do in the past two years.

For two seasons, we have been saying that all KC needs to do is be in the top 20 in defense, and the offense will do the rest. I suspect we will see if that speculation is true.

No comments: