Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Music


Music

A friend of mine read the blog and suggested that I may want to talk about music. People who have known me for a long time, know that I’ve always enjoyed popular and rock music. When I was growing up, I had what was considered an extensive collection of tunes for that day and time. Lots of “classic” rock, featuring The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Who.

Now, with digital music, people have collections much larger and much greater than my collection. Recently, I’ve been collecting a lot of the music that I’ve had in cassette and L.P. format in MP3 or other digital formats. I think I will tackle the content versus media question in a later posting. Let me start by saying that piracy is wrong…but not as wrong as making people buy The White Album five times because the media keeps changing!

One thing that may surprise many people who knew me in high school is that I really embraced 80s New Wave and Alternative music over time. I became a big fan of “punk rock” (Sex Pistols, The Clash, X, etc.) “college rock” in the 90s (R.E.M., The Replacements, The Cure, Morrissey, etc). From there, I really got into “alternative rock” and still prefer music that dances along the edge of popularity (like Ben Folds, Garbage, etc.) to chart toppers.

I think I will write more about my music, music media, and other related topic in future posts.

No comments: